Welcome to the new JCR Website
Over the holidays, I have been overhauling the JCR Website, and moving us from Drupal over to WordPress. Most of the work is behind the scenes, and you probably won’t notice too much of a difference. But there are a few cosmetic changes here and there. Most notably, the default image at the top of the website has been changed (we no longer have an image with the tree that was removed). I plan on setting up a little page that allows you to customise the image displayed at the top of the site, including the option of the old image if you’d prefer.
One thing you will find is that your login details for the JCR site wont work any more (This comes as a side affect of moving to a new system). Now one thing I promised is that i would implement Single Sign On into the JCR website, this is something that couldn’t start until we had moved the new server over to jcr.stcatz.ox.ac.uk. We have done this now and can begin the process of setting this up. This however usually takes a long time, and requires the cooperation of OUCS. But hopefully we’ll have it all up and running before everyone will need to login for the JCR Elections. *fingers crossed!*
If you want to have a user account before SSO is implemented, for example to comment on a post / hall menu, you can just Sign Up. When SSO is implemented, you will automatically log in to your existing account if you use SSO.
A few things to note on what’s been done:
- The website has been rebuilt from the ground up to be nice and easily readable and navigable by Screen Readers (including the Hall Menu, and Main Menu).
- The main menu has been reorganized. And there are new information pages (and old ones have been removed).
- Hall menus now have a “next” and “previous” button. So you can easily see the next week’s hall menu if it is up early.
- There have been a few little cosmetic tweaks here and there, (e.g. green headers and nice search / login forms). And comments section on pages has been completely redone.
I still have a few things left to do before we can call the new website COMPLETE!:
- Copy over all old Hall Menus.
Add Opening Times widget to the sidebar. Add quick Hall Menu Info to the sidebar.
- Add Ratings to hall menus.
- Add events to the site.
Add Polls and voting systems.
- Add a new DVD Library.
- Add JCR Minutes and Motions stuff.
- Create Mobile version of site
- Implement Single Sign On
- Add Personal Site Customisations (colours / header images etc…)
If you think i have missed anything, please feel free to let me know. If you would like to still access the old site for any reason, it will be temporarily available at: http://oldjcr.stcatz.ox.ac.uk
Anyway, I hope you enjoy the new site. If you have any comments or queries, feel free to fire them in my general direction either via comments on this page, or over facebook, or even email!
JCR IT Rep
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.